Hello... Newbie from Hawaii

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abbey808, Jul 1, 2011.

1. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    I have been reading the BYC forum for about four months now. It's taken me a while to get up the courage to join since I am a first time chicken owner. I guess I felt as if I didn't have much to contribute since I've had more questions than answers. It took me a while to get up to speed with the chicken lingo and learn the basics of chicken care. A big thank you to all the members of the forum, you have no idea how much you have helped me in the past few months. [​IMG]

I have two five month old pullets, a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock. I have raised them since they were two day old chicks. They are best buddies and are a joy to watch interacting together. They each have their own personalities and I love them dearly. I have also acquired three new chicks recently. Two of them are mystery babies, I have no idea what breed they are. They showed up in my yard and no mommy hen came to claim them. The third is a 1/2 Polish, 1/2 Cochin baby that I bought as a companion for the other chicks. I think they are all about the same age... seven weeks old.

I've always loved animals and never thought I'd ever have chickens as pets. I've been fascinated with them ever since I first brought my first babies home. Now, I read everything I can get my hands on if it has to do with chickens... I'm definitely hooked! I look forward to learning more about how to care for my girls, and hopefully in time will be able to contribute some knowledge and my experiences as well. [​IMG]

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from SW Ohio!!!

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma! [​IMG]

7. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    [​IMG] from Australia!

Don't feel bad about asking questions, I guess that's what the big poultry nerds are here for! [​IMG]
    And I guess it's what helps other lurkers with the same questions! [​IMG]

What about getting to know people in the social section first?
    Especially in Random Ramblings: nothing you say there can be off-topic [​IMG]

I have heard about wild chicks in Hawaii: is that where your two little mysteries came from? That would be pretty awesome, picking up chicks to raise just like that! [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Abbey and welcome from OHIO! I've heard that there are alot of chickens just running wild in Hawaii, is that true? So nice of you to adopt those little chicks! You take care and I'm so glad you joined!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by