Hello, Newbie from SE Atlanta suburbs :)

mrsdszoo

Songster
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Hi All,

I'm so glad to have found this site, and I'm so very thankful for all of the wonderful people here who share their knowledge through photos, posts, and articles! I've been reading the site voraciously for a couple of months, and I joined a week or so ago -knowing that the time for chicks was drawing close. This is my family's first foray into chickens, but we have a small menagerie of pets at home, so we know the ins and outs of researching pet care and providing quality care to our critters.
We live in the southeast suburbs of Atlanta, and have recently purchased fifteen acres that we absolutely love. So far it has been our "camp" and recreational property, and will be home to chickens soon. Our house (just 15 minutes away from the property) is currently home to: 2 adults (hubby and I), two teens (one off at college), a toddler (a.k.a. The -Center -of -Our -Universe), four dogs, one cat, a Cockatiel, two Corn Snakes,and..... Today we brought home 5 baby chicks :)! We were too wary of ordering from an online supplier, so my youngest and I drove to a breeders house an hour away, to make sure I liked the parents, the set-up and prior care, etc. I picked up a friend on our way, who wanted to check out the bunnies available. She didn't buy a bunny, but she and my toddler persuaded me to pick out two breeds instead of the one I had my heart set on. SO...
We have three Americaunas, two hens and a roo; and two silky hens (partridge). The Silkies were the girls' idea, and I have to say, they are much cuter in person than they are in photos (and I like partridge much better than solid coloring). We have them in a brooder in the garage, and they seem to all be doing well. I keep checking on them, making sure they have all figured out where the food is, and how to use the water bottles, I've been putting them at the bottles every hour or so, and I've seen three of the five over there on their own now. The others have watched, so they should follow soon. If they haven't by the evening, I'll be putting a traditional messy waterer in the brooder (ick).
I look forward to learning even more from this group of poultry-people, and I'm sure we'll be expanding our flock in the spring ;).

Heather D. and the zoo

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
Love your brooder!

Thanks! The brooder was actually built as an indoor winter home to a red-footed tortoise who lived in a pen in our yard during the warm season, but she passed away before she got to use it last winter :(. I just had to make holes in the mesh to accommodate water bottle hangers, and voila! A chicken brooder was born ;). The shoebox -style lid has little bungee cords to secure it to the base, but I didn't think our peeps needed those -lol!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm sure I'll have questions soon enough, so see you on the other forums!

Heather

Back
Top Bottom