Hello newbie here and I have some questions

Lalaglenn

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2018
Ms
Over a month ago we took in a duck that had been living inside someone's livingroom. They stated that it was about a year old. We notice the palnish in its bill and legs. It wasn't till we brought her or it home when we notice that it was unable to walk around that good. We fed it the scratch and grain mixer we feed others and dosed it up with vitamins. The duck has never quack and in the pass week has become aggressive . What can I do. It is not that way towards my other ducks which laid their 1st egg yesterday. I am not really sure of its gender and not sure if it has any handicaps due to malnutrition.

I am here for ducks and might know what is up with your duck:
-Fist you need to feed your duck an all flock feed( I use Purina and get it at tractor supply co) Here is a link: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...fSvGOH5lK77QK6nqh92q1_39BXfjOEWcaAv7REALw_wcB
-Second, he probably has niacin deficiency or bumble foot(look on the bottom of his foot. If there is a scab then it is bumble here is how to treat it:https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-bumble-foot-in-ducks.74245/) If it is a niacin deficiency then give him liquid B-complex and then give him niacin when it is all better to keep his legs strong(you can give niacin-brewers yeast every other day) Tell me what the bottom of its feet look like(a pic might be helpful) and then we can talk about the problem more :).
-Third it is probably a male and is trying to show dominance. If it has a curled tail feather and no quack then it is a male. Do you have other ducks?

Ok I am so sorry this was confusing and a lot to take in.... Ok so what I forgot to tell you was WELCOME!!! I am so so happy to meet you! I am here for ducks and have lots in common with people who do! I love keeping count of who I meet in a day who had ducks and I am proud to say you are the #1 person I have met today!:welcome:welcome:welcome:bun:bun:bun:bun:welcome:welcome

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Is your duck a drake? Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom