Hello! Newby here!

brownrist

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016
Indianapolis Indiana
Hi and thank you all for posting in the past it has been a great learning site and resource for someon who hasn't owned chickens before.

My flock: 2 RIR, 2 marans mixes, 1 Easter egger

Coop: 4x6' backyard tractor style with 15x4' run, 3 nesting boxes

Love these girls, just want to make sure I take care and spoil them the best I can!

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, spoiling is good! LOL Don't worry, your flock will have you trained up quick in the art of spoiling!!
wink.png

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping your flock happy and healthy... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Oh and here is our spoiling...I mean treats chart, LOL, that will help you find tasty treats for your flock to keep them happy and interested in life... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

So make yourself at home here and if you do have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our roost! :)

Thank you two crows, any advice on where to post the following?

The ladies just started laying, and one of the Rhode Island reds is having an issue, see below image. Found the remains of what looks like "if you cracked an egg in the pan" on the coop floor this morning. No shells to speak of. Cleaned the coop but came home tonight and found her vent looking like this. Ideas where to post for advice?

How old is this bird? If this is a young layer, they can have some issues getting their laying machines in gear for a while and can lay shell less eggs or yolks off the roost bar. If so, this should take care of itself. Just make sure you offer up plenty of extra oystershell and also make sure nobody is being bullied away from the layer feed. If they don't get enough calcium they will lay them without shells. Not enough calcium can cause egg binding too.

If this is an older bird, she may need extra calcium, she may need to be wormed, she could be internally laying, all sorts of things can cause them to lay yolks.

You might get her cleaned up and dried. Until she is ready to lay again, her cloaca will be closed off to the oviduct, so you can't feel to see if there are any broken egg shells in the duct work.

Since she is a young layer, this in common and should resolve itself as she matures more. Young pullets need time for their "duct work" to function properly. Every bird matures at a different rate.

Again, make sure they eat plenty of layer feed, treats only 10% of the diet, clean fresh water daily and put out a couple of feeding stations so nobody gets bullied away from the feed. She should be just fine. :)

That's kind of what I was thinking, her vent doesn't seem discolored or inflamed. But I don't know much about what's "normal" yet! Lol thanks again twocrows, I will give it a week or so before reposting elsewhere. I'll watch for the other signs listed on this site. They have two feeders and a separate oyster shell tub. Fresh water daily. Treats twice a day in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom