Hello! Newish here!

CeriseB

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
Morgan Hill, CA
Hi all, my name is Cerise and my hubby and I got a new flock of chickens just as COVID was shutting everything down. We swiped up the only chicks we could find - 12 bantams. Long story short, 6 were roosters (4 silkies, 1 black Australorp, one Polish), 6 were hens. We adopted out all the boys (I dearly miss two of them) and a Polish girl (too big for the real bantams) and kept the other 5 hens. We lost 1 of 2 of our Mille Fleur d'Uccle in the horrible heatwave during the horrendous fire season in 2020 but still have her weird sister, a teeny Black Australorp and two silkies. We almost lost our black silkie but she made a miraculous recovery from what looked like Merrick's. She's now our best bud and her and out grey silkie follow us around the garden.

We built a highly over-engineered, ridiculously expensive chicken coop that is the sturdiest and mostly lovely coop. I think we could fit three times as many bantams in there! The girls have a lovely run in what was the dumpy corner of the yard in our new house. Now it has gobs of flowers and herbs growing around it and the ladies love nibbling everything that peeks through the fence into their little lair.

This is our second brood. We had 4 regular sized hens long ago and I never thought my husband would get chickens again but pandemic lack of eggs and falling in love with silkies changed his mind. We absolutely love bantams and enjoy the funny little eggs, though it takes quite a lot to make macarons. The silkies are our faves but I love our other two as well, just not as social and waddly. They all make sweet erp erps at us and each knows her name. They LOVE eating wisteria flowers and scream all day when it starts blooming just outside of their run.

Other than being a chicken mom, I love gardening and my husband and I are slowly making our cruddy yard into a glorious flower and food garden with lots of fruit trees. We've had so many bees this year and a massive array of poppies, hollyhocks, ranunculus and gobs more kinds of flowers. I'm a fur mom to two rescue pups, a pug pit and a pit weirdo, and a black farm cat turned lap cat. I regularly talk to our world birds and lizards. My hobbies include knitting, painting, calligraphy, coding, baking and cooking, singing and playing upright bass, woodworking, sewing, embroidering, brewing....

I love BYC and have really enjoyed reading threads and finding solutions to chicken sickness and quirks!

Image is of our Molly and Penelope.

Attachments

• PXL_20210612_031531820.jpg
    PXL_20210612_031531820.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom