HELLO - NO REPLIES ARE MY QUESTIONS DUMB OR DID I DO THIS WRONG ?

CHICKENLADY123

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
I keep sending out questions and I am the only post that shows zero replies. Maybe I have input it incorrectly !!

In California, average temp 82 degrees. How long can I leave an egg in the nest before it needs to be tossed. Rainy season coming up and hard to get to coop.

Can my little d'uccle breed with my big brahma ? If so, can they make chicks ??

Do you clip the hens toe nails normally or is that just something they suggested for showing at the fair ?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

OKOKOK!! I get it o one is answering. HAHA! I am not sure I can help you though. I always take my eggs out of the nest right away. i dont want the hens to peck them so we get them asap. I don't have answers for ya hon.

Not sure about egg question. I live where it is warm too. I just gather the eggs once a day.

Someone will answer the other questions I am sure.

Quote:
Okay, I'll try too!!!

In California, average temp 82 degrees. How long can I leave an egg in the nest before it needs to be tossed. Rainy season coming up and hard to get to coop.
Getting them within a day or so (I wont keep one over 2 days old from the nest in warm weather myself) is the best practice, especially with that heat. It takes hen body temps to start making chicks inside the egg, but rotting and bad germs happens at lesser temps and sooner. Dont leave them just sitting around in the nest for days on end and then eat them? Bacteria can enter the egg and contaminate it, causing illness. Ewwww.

Can my little d'uccle breed with my big brahma ? If so, can they make chicks ??
Sure, they can breed and make chicks. No telling what they'll look like, hopefully someone will know! Hey, Post a pic if you have one, someone!! The eggs will come out of her just the same size, they're not like dogs where the puppies might come out too big, fortunately!

Do you clip the hens toe nails normally or is that just something they suggested for showing at the fair ?
I do not clip my chickens nails unless they need it. My silkies need their nails clipped regularly, or it causes their toes to curl, and it's uncomfortable. I dont show them, they are my pets. I trim them so they feel okay. The rest of my breeds seem to have normal wear on their toe nails and dont need trimming?

Hope that helps....this is all just my opinion and what I practice!!
Take Care!

Tina/tfpets

From super windy, Crescent City in Del Norte County, California, attending the Sea Cruise Car Show with our 1965 Lincoln Continental Rat Rod. What a blast. (I miss my chickens though)

Yes, my daughters showed the hens and a couple roos last week. I did not clip them, but I did give them baths
lol.png
I did not want to tramatize them or myself any further. The judge did not mention their nails. I was just wondering if it was normal practice. If I can avoid it I will.

If the nails are long, you should clip them about 3 weeks prior to the show. You dont want to go to a show with newly clipped nails. The judges want to see 'natural'. It will take the nails about 3 weeks to round off from cutting and look 'natural'. However, you do not need to cut them but a nice clean manicured bird looks nicer than a bird that was not prepped. Also, if the nails get too long, it will bother the birds feet.

Quote:
hmm.png
I hope if your planning on leaving the hens in the coop, perhaps for days, that you have some method of providing them with fresh drinking water, (especially in those temps), and food...and plenty of ventilation..

If the eggs are fertile, I wouldn't want to leave them un-refrigerated for more than two days. Un-fertile eggs would last probably 4-5 days.

If your hens are afforded a run, where they can dig, and scratch, I wouldn't wory about thier nails at all.

I'm not sure about the breeding question. a breeder might have an answer for that one.

Back
Top Bottom