Hello Out There!

Milk Glass Chicky

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 12, 2011
Hello to all you wonderful people! I've been lurking around here for several months now, and finally joined yesterday. My mama and grandma are responsible for my being a "chicken person" and I've gotten some good basic knowledge from them, and I'm always learning more from books and this forum.

My family and I have had a few breeds of chickens and I do have a few real life stories of them to share. At the moment, I only have two chickies, a dark cornish hen and rooster named Heidi and Seal (yes, after the celebrity couple, super model Heidi Klum and her singer husband, Seal). Lol.
tongue.png
They're five years old, and actually are separated because the rooster just became too aggressive for her, and he's a jerk to anybody else too if you don't watch it. His father became too aggressive with hens as well but he was actually quite people-friendly, I sure do miss him. I don't know what this 'young man's' problem is as he was hen and hand raised just like his pop.

I've also got a four-year-old lutino cockatiel named Gicky (I believe he's a male, and I'll have to explain the origins of his name another time), a three-year-old boxer named Melanie, and a smallish white terrier mix named George, and I'm not sure how old he is as he "turned up" on our farm two years ago (no collar and in need of neutering). In the past we've had many other dogs and birds (bobwhite quail along with chookies), even a guinea pig! I've got stories of them to share later, too.

For future chickens I've never owned before, I'd particularly love a silkie and a cochin. There are others, but those stand out for me and I've wanted them for quite a while now. I'm determined that next year is the year! I'd love to make them part-time "house chickens", we've had a part-time house chickie before (not entirely sure of her breed) and man, she was something. Got her from a county fair petting zoo (don't intend on doing that again though) back in '99 I believe, she passed on in February 2008. Her name started out as Kathy Jane, but then we referred to her as just 'Jane'. She thought a lot of herself, and liked to watch T.V. especially at the end of my bed (on a towel, of course). Ill definitely be sharing more stories of her in the future! She was my first chicken.

You'll be seeing me around more after Christmas when things aren't so busy. We usually do things at the last minute but we're trying to do better this year.
tongue.png

Probably my favorite part of the board right now is the Derperella thread! What laughs my mama and I have shared over that one!
lol.png
Derp is such a dear.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lol, thanks. I tend to be inspired by fictional characters or celebrities themselves for chicken names!
lol.png
I've got a few picked out for the next chooks I get, whenever that'll be.

Thanks everybody for all the welcomes!

Back
Top Bottom