Hello, recently adopted 3 hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Twoleggedmotherhen, May 19, 2018.

1. Twoleggedmotherhen

Twoleggedmotherhen Songster

May 19, 2018
    Lynden,Wa
    HI everyone!
    I adopted 3 hen, a Plymouth Rock, Easter Egger and a Brahma. Here is the history on the gals. They are in their 3rd year. Landlord had 12 chickens, then he moved out of state and left the chickens in the care of family. The girls were free roaming, for a while they got feed, but after a year they were left to fend for themselves. I was giving them what seed our parrot wouldn't eat. 3 months ago there were 5 left. The son's young dog, killed 1 when the landlord was back. She kept going after the girls. He left for a week and another girl was killed. I stopped her from killing the Brahma and the Plymouth.
    The next week our diabetic blind dog passed away. Landlord came back. He asked me if I wantediluvian the 3 girls. If not he would cull them, if the dog didn't get them first. Well being I just couldn't stand the thought of them being culled because they were unwanted. Talked to husband and he said if you want them do it. So I adopted the girls.
    I was researching questions I had when I came upon this site. Such good information. Been through the molting and the EE and Plymouth have started laying again. Brahma has gone into her slow season. What fun this past 6 weeks have been. They look real good now. They get scratch and cracked corn in the morning, have laying pellets available at all times, fresh water (something the didn't have, were drinking what water they could find). They come running when they see me and talk to me.
    They adjusted to the run quickly. They have a 9 by 13 run, coop with large nesting box on outside of run and a second large nesting box. Using shaved pine in coop and nesting boxes, have put a string of LED White Christmas lights on the roof of the coop on a timer. Comes on at 4:30am off at 7:00 am, the on again at 7:00 pm and off at 9:00 pm. They are no longer scared of our dogs (have 3 Chihuahuas). Hens are bigger than the dogs...lol.
    I know this is long, wanted to give the history of how I came to have the girls. Thank You for all the useful information, it has helped me tremendously. Never have had chickens or even held a chicken. Having inside birds (parrot and a cockatiel) did help in knowing how to make a bird feel safe when holding.

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Good luck with them! And welcome to BYC.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Well and humanely done on rescuing these birds. Good luck with, and enjoy them.

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here with us.

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. kriz the farmer

kriz the farmer Songster

May 14, 2018
    delhi
  6. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

It's so great that you adopted those hens. We need more people like you in the world. I hope you have many great experiences while raising them. :)

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's obvious you are a natural born chicken lover - you are totally welcome here. May good luck pursue you always. Bawk, Bawk, BaGawk - I think I laid an eg

We would love to see photos - pul-ease !!!!!

8. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Crossing the Road

Jul 21, 2017
    NOLA
    :frow Welcome from New Orleans, I see you have gotten some good info already, so don't be shy about jumping in and commenting on threads, or asking question, most people are knowledgeble, non judgemental, caring people who will be happy to help in any way they can.

9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

10. petitor

petitor Chirping

Jun 5, 2017
    La belle province
    :welcome!!!

:hugson the passing of your dog.

How kind of you to take in those poor birds. It sounds like they have a much better life with you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: