Hello, recently adopted 3 hens

20180423_154759.jpg
pic of Brahma, Plymouth and Easter.Pic taken a week after being in my care.
They are definitely spoiled aleady. Went shopping today to get them some worms, some grit and crushed oyster shells and a trough for the grits/oyester shells. Put a little oyster shell in with the grit. Available for when they feel they need it. They saw the bags and started talking up a storm. Gave them about a tablespoon each of the worms.
Thank You for the warm welcome.

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

It's so great that you adopted those hens. We need more people like you in the world. I hope you have many great experiences while raising them. :)

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!
Thank You, was very helpful. Downloaded the app!

Your birds are beautiful!!! It sounds like they are really selling in well =).

I'm not sure if you are planning on keeping them in the enclosure in the picture or what the predator pressures in your area are like, but I did have a dog get through something similar when I lived in Kingston =(.

Your birds are beautiful!!! It sounds like they are really selling in well =).

I'm not sure if you are planning on keeping them in the enclosure in the picture or what the predator pressures in your area are like, but I did have a dog get through something similar when I lived in Kingston =(.
It is not the permanent run. We do have predators around. Coyotes, hawks, owls,and eagles. The coyotes pretty much stay out, because of the landlord's 3 Great Prynees, they skirt the property. The prynees chase them away. Been here 4 years, never had problems with the coyotes, but then again we don't take chances. With 3 Chihuahuas have to be aware of all predators. These hens free ranged the 5 acres, until the chicken killer dog came to live. We have taken precautions for both the hens & Chihuahuas.
The hens were in sad shape, under weight, very dirty rear ends, waddle, combs,and legs a bit pale. They have now back to a healthy weight, rear ends cleaned up, waddle, combs & legs color is back to normal. Some of the coloring was due to molting, but was pale months before we took them in. Thanks to this site, we got them healthy and happy.

Nice birds. The Brahma has exceptional leg feathering. You will get decent production from the BR and EE until they are 5ish. Brahma are not great layers to begin with so if you get 3/week, you are doing well.
Brahma had been doing an egg a day until last week, got 4 eggs. The EE & Plymouth have finished molting this week gave an egg a day, since Wednesday. I'm happy with their gifts.

Back
Top Bottom