Hello! So glad I found this group! I'm new to raising ducks. Any tips for building a duck coop and pen?

Sep 24, 2020
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Hi there!
My family is new to raising ducks. We've never had any kind of poultry before these ducks. We did one of those 'hatching at home' projects and hatched all 8 of our eggs. We decided to keep our ducks. They are all Khaki Campbells. They are 5 weeks old now. They all seem pretty healthy and happy. My oldest daughter handles them everyday and they are very attached to her. My other children fed them treats by hand. I heard that Khaki Campbells are a 'nervous' breed. I don't really know what that means. We are raising them for egg laying. They are currently sleeping at night in a horse trough in my living room. They need to move outside asap.

We are planning on building their coop and pen in two phases. We have started a coop now. It's a design for a chicken coop and not for ducks. We made the frame lower to ground but not on the ground. I would appreciate any other tips for modifications that would make a chicken coop more suitable for ducks. I know they need more ventilation.

We live in a suburb in the Philadelphia region. My oldest daughter loves animals. She would turn our house into a petting zoo if we let her. Beside our ducks, we have two cats, a mini rex rabbit that is no so mini, and a bearded dragon which means we always have a container of live crickets. My daughter also raises and hatches moths and butterflies. I am so glad I found this group!

Back
Top Bottom