Hello there, rooster with mucus on its beak

Kako112

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
hi! my rooster has mucus on its beak, yellow and slimy, some of it get to the sides and dry out and get really hard, i've checked his beak inside, it was clean, can someone help me?
could it be from the cold? (where i live its getting colder)
can it be from something else?
does it have a cure?
als, he's "sleepy" everywhere i put him he just finds some sort of depression on the terrain, digs and makes a nest and lays down and begin to "sleep"
please help

it could be one of a number of things. I'll flag it up to some people who are really expert in these issues and hopefully one or another will be along soon @azygous @coach723 @dawg53 @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Meanwhile please provide more info: where in the world are you, how do you keep your chickens, have you isolated him and/or anyone else showing symptoms, etc? Basically the more info you provide, the easier it is for them to provide you with a quick answer.

Can you post some photos of him?
How old is he?

You mention he's sleepy everywhere you put him, lethargy is not good. If possible, can you bring him in for observation. This way you can make sure he's getting hydrated/eating and you can get a look at his poop.

Mucous can be from a number of things - respiratory illness is one of the more common causes. Wipe the nostrils clean and if they are clogged, try to get them cleared.

it could be one of a number of things. I'll flag it up to some people who are really expert in these issues and hopefully one or another will be along soon @azygous @coach723 @dawg53 @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Meanwhile please provide more info: where in the world are you, how do you keep your chickens, have you isolated him and/or anyone else showing symptoms, etc? Basically the more info you provide, the easier it is for them to provide you with a quick answer.
So, i keep him and other 4 chickens, (his wife and 3 offspring) he is the only one with symptoms, yesterday i went to the pharmacy and got terramicine for farm animals( birds included) put some on the water according with the instructions, he is having a strong will to live since yesterday afternoon, after i made him drink a bit of water, made a crow this morning, clapped his wings, i think he just got a bit sick because of the fast morning cold

So, i keep him and other 4 chickens, (his wife and 3 offspring) he is the only one with symptoms, yesterday i went to the pharmacy and got terramicine for farm animals( birds included) put some on the water according with the instructions, he is having a strong will to live since yesterday afternoon, after i made him drink a bit of water, made a crow this morning, clapped his wings, i think he just got a bit sick because of the fast morning cold
Sounds like he's improving!
I would make sure he's drinking the medicated water really well.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Sounds like he's improving!
I would make sure he's drinking the medicated water really well.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.
Hi there, i tried to connect earlier but the site was under maintenance, my rooster is doing ok, i think he has some sort of infection or inflamation on his beak, the mucus is much less now, he even tries to eat, but when he nods his head to pick up grass or seeds he doesnt peck, as normal chickens would do, he gently tries to grab, but cant because i think it hurts him opening his beak, yesterday he woke up full of life, showed a true rooster's dominance behavior (wich i think means that he will not give up easily) he even has his wife that is allways with him, so yeah, i think its improving, bit just in case i will try to take him to the vet tomorrow

Can you post some photos of him?
How old is he?

You mention he's sleepy everywhere you put him, lethargy is not good. If possible, can you bring him in for observation. This way you can make sure he's getting hydrated/eating and you can get a look at his poop.

Mucous can be from a number of things - respiratory illness is one of the more common causes. Wipe the nostrils clean and if they are clogged, try to get them cleared.
Right now i dont have any photos but i surely will take, hes better now, his poop was only white these last days but i hope it begins to get solid, because he began feeding by himself again, i think it was some sort of constipation

Hi there, i tried to connect earlier but the site was under maintenance, my rooster is doing ok, i think he has some sort of infection or inflamation on his beak, the mucus is much less now, he even tries to eat, but when he nods his head to pick up grass or seeds he doesnt peck, as normal chickens would do, he gently tries to grab, but cant because i think it hurts him opening his beak, yesterday he woke up full of life, showed a true rooster's dominance behavior (wich i think means that he will not give up easily) he even has his wife that is allways with him, so yeah, i think its improving, bit just in case i will try to take him to the vet tomorrow

Right now i dont have any photos but i surely will take, hes better now, his poop was only white these last days but i hope it begins to get solid, because he began feeding by himself again, i think it was some sort of constipation
You may want to look inside his beak for any lesions/canker or even injury.

White poop can be excess urates due to dehydration, hard to know without seeing it, but if you think he's constipated, then he's not getting fluids, maybe because of whatever is going on with his beak. Can you encourage him to drink? Maybe hold a shallow cup or bowl up to his beak to see if he will drink for you.

It's good that he's feeding himself more.

You may want to look inside his beak for any lesions/canker or even injury.

White poop can be excess urates due to dehydration, hard to know without seeing it, but if you think he's constipated, then he's not getting fluids, maybe because of whatever is going on with his beak. Can you encourage him to drink? Maybe hold a shallow cup or bowl up to his beak to see if he will drink for you.

It's good that he's feeding himself more.
Ive been using a srynge to give him the medicated water with terramicine, in hope for him to be encouraged to drink by himself, today im really nervous to see if he gets better or not, ill try to make him drink more

Hello there! Fortunately the big guy recovered after a week, maybe it was a constipation, but he handled it like a champ

Back
Top Bottom