Hello there!

MeganFair

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Leesville, SC
Ironically, I joined a forum called Backyard Chickens . . . and I don't really have any interest in raising chickens. My main poultry interest is ducks, so, as I answer the intro questions, I'm going to substitute the "chickens" for "ducks." (However, chicken lovers don't despair - my second oldest daughter wants to raise chickens, so there will be questions as she starts researching her interest.)

So, to start down the road of the intro questions, I am new to ducks. We actually did originally plan to raise chickens, but I wasn't terribly excited about anything other than eggs. Then, one day my husband asked me why we hadn't considered ducks . . . and things went from there. I started researching ducks, and fell in love with these cuties. We now own two, and they are living up to my expectations of utter adorableness.

Right now we have two ducklings in our brooder, and six more on order from Metzer Farms to be delivered in April. The two we have right now were obtained from Tractor Supply, and they're Khaki Campbells. The ones on order are five Welsh Harlequins and one Saxony.

Now, the reason I joined was because every time I had a question about ducks in the last few weeks, this site would be one of the first hits on Google. So, I decided to go ahead and join since it seemed to me that even though the forum's focus is on chickens, there are plenty of duck enthusiasts to pal around with too.

My other hobbies include writing and various fiber arts such as knitting, crochet, and drop-spinning. We are also gardening right now, and I love to cook. I have a large family - four kids plus one on the way, as well as my husband, my mother, and myself - so I end up cooking a lot. I'm a teacher by trade, so another attractive feature of this particular site was the chance to learn and share what I've learned with others. Which I hope to do a lot of here!

G’Day from down under MeganFair :frow Welcome and Congratulations!

If you have not found it yet, this is a link to the Duck Forum.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are a few down the bottom of the page which are duck specific and this one in particular may be of interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Raising and Caring for Ducklings

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom