Hello there.

JHH3

Songster
Dec 7, 2020
North West Wisconsin
Hi,

I'm relatively new to chickens, I got my first batch in May 2020 and they've just started laying eggs recently. Lost one a week ago, not sure why but I think she might have been egg bound. One loss out of 25 total I guess isn't too bad but it hurt none the less. Joined the forum primarily because sometimes I want to run a question or two by someone more knowledgeable.

Joe

1607402282454.gif

So glad you joined us :)

Do you provide calcium on the side? Chickens are very good at self regulating and will eat as much as they need. I use crushed egg shells and oyster shells. They prefer the crushed egg shells though.

I have some oyster shell available though I've never seen any of them getting any. I occasionally take a handful and toss it out in the yard for them to find if they are inclined.

View attachment 2440806

So glad you joined us :)

Do you provide calcium on the side? Chickens are very good at self regulating and will eat as much as they need. I use crushed egg shells and oyster shells. They prefer the crushed egg shells though.

I have some oyster shell available though I've never seen any of them getting any. I occasionally take a handful and toss it out in the yard for them to find if they are inclined.
Keep it in a separate container next to their feed so you can monitor. Nothing fancy, maybe just a large cup or spare bowl. For my chickens I use their old trough type feeder, but the bunnies and quail have dollar store cups and also hanging feeders from Cutler Supply, its an online store based out of Colorado. They cost about $1.50 each for the plastic ones. They have the lowest prices I have seen on lots of stuff. In case funds are an issue.
Please add your general location to your profile. @aart has a good tutorial on how to do that.

Hi,

I'm relatively new to chickens, I got my first batch in May 2020 and they've just started laying eggs recently. Lost one a week ago, not sure why but I think she might have been egg bound. One loss out of 25 total I guess isn't too bad but it hurt none the less. Joined the forum primarily because sometimes I want to run a question or two by someone more knowledgeable.

Joe
1606528678036.jpg

Back
Top Bottom