Hello to all backyard chicken’ers!!!

The_Silkie_Farm

Songster
Apr 26, 2019
Cypress, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
My name is Terra, I’m a single mom and have 3 awesome kids..Kya, 17/girl, Dominick, 7/boy and Elly-Rose, 5/girl. We are NEW to chickens and are all EXCITED.....(except my 17yr old). We got 4 baby americanas day before yesterday and totally fell in LOVE and then I jumped the gun & got 2 more baby chicks yesterday ...(barred rock? I think). ...yes, in way over my head w/ 6 chicks....but I keep reasuring myself I can do this!

The kids and I enjoy taking care of them and holding and playing with them. They have a nice brooding area and the temperature is just right finally. They are happy and playful running around & love to play with the thermometer because it's shiny so I put a little hanging mirror with silver shiny rims and they all chomp at the bit to get in front of it first!

.........so here comes the stressful part I am facing right now ...THE CHICKEN COOP/PLANS or lack there of?!? ..I've researched myself to death & am COMPLETELY OVERWHELMED AT THIS POINT!

Not sure whether to buy or to build I found some coops under $300 to purchase & wondering if I can build it myself cheaper than that or even a better one for about the same price. ...Not sure if I have the time but I am a huge DIY'er & it is very hard for me to pay somebody to do something I know I can do myself and if I don’t know how I will always figure it out...

That being said, I’m glad that I found this site it came highly recommended on other sites I found doing my research and I always end up coming back to this one so I’m thoroughly impressed and now a member!

NICE TO MEET YOU ALL AND READ YOUR STORIES!! I’ve already learned so much from a lot of your posts thank you for that!

Any ideas, suggestions, advice, or anything for that matter from anyone please don’t hesitate! I welcome them/you all!!! ✌️

Your Friendly rookie backyard chicken'der,

Terra

Hello, Terra, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
A shed to coop conversion is the way to go. Here are some before and an after of the one I'm working on.
IMG_20190208_123858305.jpg IMG_20190208_123800565.jpg IMG_20190421_182257221.jpg

Back
Top Bottom