1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello to all from Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Riverdog, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Riverdog

Riverdog New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    Hersey, Michigan
    I'm retired and woodworking has been my hobby for 40 years. When I saw a pic of a coop online, it looked like something fun to build but I never dreamed of raising chickens. Well, when I finished the coop, rather than selling it, I decided to get some birds. I purchased 1 Australorp, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Americaunas & 1 Rhode Island Red. Geez...I haven't had so much fun in years. Why didn't someone warn me how addictive and entertaining these critters can be. I'm totally hooked and love it. Now, I find my neighbors dropping by to check out my new "pets." This site has provided invaluable information and I'm happy to be here.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan, glad you joined in [​IMG]

Hope you stop by the Michigan thread and say Hi, look in the Where am I - Where are You section of the Forum

3. jsawler

jsawler Out Of The Brooder

gee, your story sounds quite familiar to me!except for the retired part! LOL , welcome to the site!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Well, that's one interesting way to get into chicken keeping!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] that's it get the neighbors interested and then they can buy a custom made coop from you - help augment your income.

7. Riverdog

Riverdog New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    Hersey, Michigan
    Yep, I've sold a lot of my woodworking projects and that was the plan with the coop. I may put an ad up on Craigslist in the Spring for custom coops and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by