Hello to all from Tennessee

Bonney42

Hatching
May 23, 2015
White House, Tennessee
Hi I am Bonney42. I have a cornucopia of eggs on day 13. I did have to humanely let one go today. I could see nothing in my light and the egg had that terrible rotten egg smell. When I began this adventure everyone I talked with ( who were much more experienced than I said Trust your nose. My incubator has a egg turner in it and since the chicks are due on the 2nd or third of June ( I put them in after ten on the 12th). I intend on taking the turner out on the 30th of May. If anyone things this is a bad idea please correct ne. I am almost as nervous as if I was having them. I do have a question, How long in the incubator, before I move them to my brooder? My Chicken house is a 4th of a relatively new barn. I am building the coop inside the barn and then giving the chicken a very large fenced in run. I hope and welcome any and all help, this is exciting.

Hi Bonney
big_smile.png

I'm not that experienced with incubation, however there is a sub-forum for those kinds of questions here: link

I can understand your nervousness... I'd be bouncing off the walls at that point. So much anticipation and excitement! What kind of eggs are they? And best of luck
smile.png

MP

They generally stay in the incubator until they are dried out and fluffy but, it a long time transpired between the first hatched and the next. Some people will take them out and put in a brooder with heat lamp and temps. already for use. If the chick is not running around playing soccer with the other eggs you can wait longer. Chicks absorb the nutrition from their egg sac and are said to be able to go without eating for 3 days.

You don't have to wait that long to remove the hatched ones. When the incubator is opened it looses humidity which the chicks need for hatching, and take awhile to build it back up. You don't want to open it while a chick is pipping or zipping because they could get shrink wrapped to the shell.

Sorry I don't have the links to the hatching and incubation threads. I do believe there is such advice in the "Raising Backyard chickens forum."

Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

Good morning, welcome to BYC!

Hope your hatch goes well. What kind of eggs are you incubating?

Good luck!
jumpy.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with the hatch! You have been given some great advice here. You can leave the chicks in the incubator for one or even two days if others are still hatching. They absorb the yolk sac from the egg which helps them survive a few days without food or water. But I like to get them out closer to 24 hours if I can. While they can survive, they will still be very thirsty and hungry after 24+ hours.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom