Hello to everyone from sunny Florida!

FloridaBuffies

Chirping
Dec 30, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
After almost a year of relentless begging & pleadings from my daughter, we decided to give raising chickens a try, and now we wish we hadn't waited so long! My concerns were largely answered by this great forum, so thank you all! We have 4 buff orpis as my daughter did her homework and found these to be great overall "starter chickens" and she gets an A+ because these cute fluffballs have been ideal pets. Yesterday we got our first egg! After intially keeping them in the coop/10 foot run, we let them free-range all day now. We had a scare when something (hawk/owl?) came close to getting one of the girls about a month ago, but she managed to escape! We nursed her back to health and she was back with her sisters in only about ten days (shocking because we didn't expect her to make it through the first night). She is now our favorite as she is a bit crooked and runs funny (a bit sideways) and makes little hops when she runs, but otherwise has made a full recovery! (We have named her Eileen.
tongue.png
) These forums also helped us a ton with all the questions that we had through that ordeal. Glad to finally join and hopefully be able to help out now when possible!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad Eileen recovered. :eek:) We have a lot of members in the Florida area and one of them, NorthFlChick, posts regularly on this section. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to BYC. When you free range you have to expect predator losses. If they are too great you may decide to keep them in a large, well enclosed & covered run.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

I also regret not getting my own flock so much earlier.

Personally have had a fear of losses and have raised mine in confinement with a protected all in one coop/run. But added an area with fencing and a netting cover to allow them time to "forage" with some supervision. You may want to consider something similar.

So glad Eileen is ok and doing well now.

Back
Top Bottom