Hello to everyone!

TNcountrygirl

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
I've used this site to answer many questions, and now have finally joined and became an official member.
I grew up on a farm in Iowa, and we had just about every animal you could on the farm. Even though we had LOTS of chickens, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to all the different aspects of raising them, cuz for me, they were just chickens. LOL So now my husband and I decided it was time to get our own chickens and raise them, and it has been a very rewarding experience!! Not only the fresh eggs that we enjoy, but also just the day to day interaction we have with them! We bought our chicks from our local TSC, and bought a few different breeds, so we have a very pretty flock. We have Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Brahmas, Golden Comets, and a couple of hens, that we don't know what they are, cuz they were suppose to be Cornish Rocks (meat birds), but obviously they aren't cuz they didn't get big and fat like the others did, so needless to say they are still in the flock and not on the menu. lol In fact, it is one of them that went broody, and now has hatched 9 baby chicks. Which was a big surprise and a small blessing. We had a Barred Rock rooster, but something got him (probably a fox) and needless to say we were so upset. A couple days after he was killed, this hen went broody, and started setting on eggs. Not knowing any better we thought she was wasting her time. But after doing some research on the internet, I found out that a rooster's sperm could last up to 7 days in a hen, so we had a little bit of hope that we might have some baby chicks. Lo and behold a few weeks later, they started hatching, and now we have 9 little barred rock chicks! So even though our rooster met his untimely demise, we have his legacy living on. :)

HI, we are new members too--and, like you, have found many questions answered by BYC. It became my go-to site for all things related to chickens, ducks and mostly recently, turkeys. I love turkeys. The poults are so adorable! We had unexpected chicks this summer as well. Our first. It has been a fun learning experience. Okay, the exploding egg wasn't fun, but at least I knew what was going on... having read about it here. lol

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on your BR hatch. It's always so exciting having a successful hatch. You have some good layers in your flock. Golden Comets are one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and like all Red Sex Links, they are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh, I am sorry something got your rooster! But congrats on all those new babies! Actually the sperm can last up to 14 days in the hen. How egg-citing!!

Enjoy this wonderful journey you are on. And make yourself at home here too. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry about your rooster! It's so hard to loose them!

Congrats on the babies!:)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on the successful hatch! :jumpy Sorry about the loss of your roo.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

I'm sorry about your rooster, but congratulations on the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom