hello were pretty new to this chicken thing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by legbar, Aug 21, 2011.

1. legbar

legbar New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    hiya, my wife and i live in bude with three young 20ish kids on the edge of a very quiet estate area.
    We were given a two story large rabbit hutch which we converted into a 4'x4'x3' chicken house and bought 4 young buff orpington hens.
    after about 3 hours my wife wanted a larger run so we emptied and converted a 6'x4' shed and built a 20'x5' pen for them.they are lovelly girls very funny and getting friendlier every day.
    we made the mistake of going to a poultry auction last week (just for a look) we left with two speckled maran hens(sooty and sweep) a speckled legbar hen(beryl) a silky hen called (abigail) and a call duck drake called (malfoid)??).
    we put new additions in at night with out trouble but when they came out next morning all hell broke loose.the buffs went mad two had abigail pinned to the floor when these were pulled off her she looked almost dead just laying still.they turned onto sooty so we quickly removed the buffs into the previouse coop and all settled down.
    we had a choice between selling one group or both or building another run in our garden.we could not get rid of the buffsso they now have a 15'x6' pen and we extended the other pen by another 12' so we could add a baby bath for malfoid.abigail made a full recovery and eats like a horse.
    no eggs yet but all get the run of the garden an hour each group every day and seem happy enough.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Wow sounds like you all just jumped in. Good for you and welcome to the madness.

3. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Welcome from Georgia.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

5. atomic_chicken

atomic_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    B.C. Canada
    Welcome Way to go with all the new additions.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Chicken math strikes again

Imp

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

8. burbankchix

burbankchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    California
    Welcome to the best chicken site on the web! So much information and help here it's unbelievable. We acquired our first chicks in mid-June an they are now 10 weeks old. It's good to see we're not the only ones who have gotten "chicken fever"! We had put a cap of 5-6 chicks on ourselves when we decided to become chick parents. We ordered 6 from a hatchery, but since they couldn't provide some of the breeds we wanted due to hatch dates, we went shopping! We came home with 7 chicks (2 bantams, a silkie and a cochin) and 5 others. That was a Saturday. On the following Tuesday, our 6 hatchery babies showed up, then we were up to 13. Still short a breed or so, I found a local feed and grain store that had chicks! Voila, went without telling my husband and ended up with 3 more chicks that Friday. Now a family of 16! So much for 5 or 6! Unfortunately, 2 turned out to be roosters, which are illegal in our city, so we had to find a new home, which we did yesterday! We are so happy they have a great place to live.

We are now at 14, and my little chick brain is still thinking about getting replacements! God save us!

Good luck with your 2 broods![​IMG][​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. Fanamama

Fanamama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Welcome from another new egg! Everything I've learned on this site has helped with raising 5 silkies from 1 day old to 5 months old today! I haven't had any problems with them or the coop either. I built my coop from plans found here and I've never built anything before in my life! I'm just a single Mom raising three teenagers that was looking for a new hobby!
    Here it is...[​IMG]
    Anyways - Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by