Hello!

lala1231

Hatching
Sep 19, 2015
Scottsdale
Hello Everyone!

Just want to introduce myself... I am new to this group as well as a new to be chicken owner..
I am in the midst of purchasing 5 month old hens but finding it hard to get locally here in Scottsdale Arizona. Anyone have any suggestions?

Glad to be apart of this community. I look forward to chatting with you all!:)

Hi! Welcome!
frow.gif
In Scottsdale, you'll likely want to keep heat tolerant birds. The Barred Rock is good, Australorps do amazingly well in the heat as do Delawares. Good layers, docile. There are quite a few more. Orpingtons seem to struggle with the heat and I find they require substantial extra care above 95deg. Here's a great breed thread, if you scroll down, ot the left you can check what your ideal bird is for climate, egg production, temperament etc and research each breed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
Here's a link to your state threads, might want to wander around and shout out what you are looking for. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Arizona
Best of luck to you!

Wow!
Thank you for your wealth of information. I will take a look at it tonight and do some research..
Are you here in Scottsdale?
What are some of your favorite breeds?

Wow!
Thank you for your wealth of information. I will take a look at it tonight and do some research..
Are you here in Scottsdale?
What are some of your favorite breeds?
Sadly no, I'm not in Scottsdale, stuck here in inland So Cal for 2 more years.
rant.gif
Heading to Payson Az. to retire.
fl.gif
When I looked for breeds, I wanted docile, friendly non-aggressive, non flighty pretty hens that laid big pretty eggs. I just want eggs to eat and share. I love the Orpingtons for their friendliness if you want lap chickens, their beauty, and they are good layers. They HATE this heat. I won't be adding more. I'm quite happy with the Delawares and Australorps great layers, very docile, mine are not cuddly, but I'm not that much into cuddling every chicken. Favorite for entertainment value and dark brown eggs: Marans. I have Cuckoo, White and Splash Marans. Silly birds. They're not quite as sensitive to heat as the Orphs. I have some Wyandottes, mine are just here. Nothing to brag about. It really depends on what you want. Have a look around,

welcome-byc.gif

If you haven't already, take a look at the Learning Center. There are a lot of very helpful articles on all sorts of poultry topics that will help get you off on the right foot.

I have a mixed flock and the ones in it that have done best with our heat & humidity are the Black Australorps and the Red Sex Links (those are a hybrid, not a true breed but egg laying machines).

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom