1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by arghyla, Jan 8, 2016.

1. arghyla

arghyla Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2015
    New here. No chickens yet trying to do some thorough research first to make sure I am taking care of them right. I have a small Amt of land but my town is zoned for 4 chickens. Woot lol. Huge animal lover. I am hoping to get silkies bc they r so adorable. I'm torn bc I want good layers but I want these girls to be pets too. I love reading everyone's posts. Thank you all this seems like a very nice community

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! You have certainly come to the right place for all the research here. The learning centre is a great place to start. Lots of articles that will help you keep your girls happy, safe and healthy. Here is the link if you have not already checked it out ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck getting started with your new venture. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. arghyla

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank u I have a bit. Navigating by phone isn't the easiest but I'm loving the wealth of info and resource here!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

That's good to hear :D I prefer the desktop version the most but I downloaded the app for mobile and it was better.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  5. arghyla

Dec 31, 2015
    There's an app? I've just been using my browser! Off I go!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Yes there is an app :highfive:

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. arghyla

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you it seems so informative and enthusiastic here :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are not great layers but, they tend to be very good broodies. That means when the urge to hatch eggs drives them to sit on a nest (even with invisible eggs) and attempt to hatch them. When they are broody, you can even slip fertile eggs under them - from any breed you want. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

1 person likes this.
  10. arghyla

Dec 31, 2015

Thank u. My original desire to have chickens was the bonus of eggs and lovable new fluffy derps but I'm getting swayed by eggs now :0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by