Hello.

Captjoe

Chirping
Jan 9, 2016
Hello very new to this site. Seems to be very informative. I am also new to raising chickens. My flock consist of 9 chickens & 2 ducks all about 9 months old. We had a rooster (same age) by accident , a local Hawk got him about 6 weeks ago. Anyway all of my girls have been laying very well getting 8-11 eggs every 2 days sometimes more. but the last several days have not been so good. Only getting 1-3 eggs every few days. All of my flock is well fed and watered. No stress other than losing the Rooster. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Capt. Joe

Welcome to BYC Capt.Joe, it's nice to meet you. Could it be that the hawk is still making his presence known and badly stressing your hens? Once a predator is successful, they keep coming back .

Hi Joe and welcome to BYC- great to have you join us. I agree that the hawks can make a flock jumpy for a long time and will most certainly be still hanging around- I have the same problem.

Ct

Hi Capt. Joe,
welcome-byc.gif

There can be several reasons why your chickens (or anyone's) can slow down egg laying, stress is certainly one of them. There's also shorter daylight hours, molting, nutrition, age, broodiness and health. Some of these, like age, wouldn't apply to your girls but any of them can be a factor so you have to evaluate your personal situation. For example, with my 9 girls it's been a combination of molting and shorter daylight hours; now that most of them have finished molting, their egg laying is going up again.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here.

The hawk is really not an issue any longer. Haven't seen him since we lost the rooster.

Hi Capt. Joe, :welcome

There can be several reasons why your chickens (or anyone's) can slow down egg laying, stress is certainly one of them. There's also shorter daylight hours, molting, nutrition, age, broodiness and health. Some of these, like age, wouldn't apply to your girls but any of them can be a factor so you have to evaluate your personal situation. For example, with my 9 girls it's been a combination of molting and shorter daylight hours; now that most of them have finished molting, their egg laying is going up again.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here.
I just learned that my wife gave the chickens an entire pumpkin pie about 5 days ago. We've given them table scraps before but never anything as rich as a pie could that be why we are not getting as many eggs?

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

We are glad you joined us!

The pumpkin pie would not be the cause of them cutting down their egg production. Although i would not recommend giving your chickens or any chickens for that matter pie again. It has to much sugar in it for chickens to handle. I would only recommend giving chickens stuff that is not human made except bread. (they love that) The thing that may be cutting down in your egg production is the weather. Chickens tend to slow down their egg production in colder temps. and also this time of the year especially. Hope this helps.

ChrriesBrood~

Back
Top Bottom