hello

GeorgiaBird

Hatching
Apr 19, 2016
Hi, from Georgia! Very new at the whole chicken experience, my pen was finished Saturday and by Sunday a woman wanted to give her chickens away so I didn't even get to start with the ones I had planned on going to buy and I even took the sick one the woman had given up on and had put into a cage to die, a little silkie that I have named Hope, doing my homework I think it may be Mareks, but am not sure, one leg seems OK, but the other just stays out to the side she can't even sit up unaided, she stays in a basket in my room with hay nested into it and I hand feed her, do take her out of a day to help her sit in the grass. Any advice on how to help Hope would be greatly appreciated, she very quickly wiggled straight into my heart, such a gentle soul. Thanks in advice and I hope to share with all of you at a later date, but hopefully not much later, that Hope is well and happy.

Oh gosh. You may want to put "Mareks" in the search box and read all about it. Even the birds Marek's doesn't kill, will be carriers all their life. It is extremely contagious. Folks generally have a closed farm to deal with it, No new birds in, no chicks or birds sold out to others.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Sounds like you may have unwittingly found yourself if a sticky situation. I hope that you find a solution.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom