Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by psychocircus91, May 30, 2016.

1. psychocircus91

psychocircus91 Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Hey everybody,
    My name is Don, and I am from Maryland. I am in the process of buying my first home. Once everything starts to settle, I am considering getting some chickens. I have barely scratched the surface with my research, but I am big on joining forums to learn. I have owned doves and various parrots in the past.

Some breeds I am considering are:

Speckled sussex
    silver laced Wyandotte
    gold lace Wyandotte
    Easter egger
    Buff orpington
    Barred Plymouth rock

I am looking for them as "pets" with eggs being an added bonus. I am looking to get about 3 chickens.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Hello and welcome to BYC! You have some nice breeds on that list. You should definitely go for it and get some chickens when you move! You won't regret it! However I do advise you to build your coop big enough to fit more chickens than you expect to get. Chicken math waits for no coop addition!

1 person likes this.
  3. psychocircus91

May 29, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! There is a large shed on the property I'm looking at that I think may be appropriate to convert into a coop, but I will have to analyze it more closely. I'm only on about a half acre with this property, so want to be sure not to overdo it.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Don and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'm sure that you have checked out the Breeds section and googled breed comparison charts - planning is great fun.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. psychocircus91

May 29, 2016
    Hi there,
    Actually, I haven't compared breeds at all yet. That's why my list is somewhat sizeable. I chose the ones that appeal to me based on appearance/availability. I have yet to look into temperaments, climate tolerance, ect. Planning species/breeds of pets is always a fun experience.

Thank you very much.

7. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!!

All those breeds you have listed are great!! They're all great layers, so expect lots of eggs! Buff Orpington are one of the friendliest breeds. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. psychocircus91

May 29, 2016
    Thanks for the information! I have a lot of research to do, but that is a nice little jump start!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Don, Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by