Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Julie76, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Julie76

Julie76 New Egg

Jul 14, 2016
    Hi my name is Julie and I live in ny. We had 3 hens and oNE rooster. They were free range until dusk. Last night we lost a hen and the rooster. I worry about my two remaining hens. Can I get a new rooster/hen? Our chickens coexist with our dogs...the rooster kept everyone in line. I don't want to keep the chickens shut in. ..what can I do?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Julie and welcome to BYC. Assuming you lost your birds whilst they were free ranging, then constructing a covered run will secure your remaining birds. You may wish to check out the Coops and Runs forum for ideas. Adding new flock members is not a problem - here's a couple of links. It may be prudent to secure your existing birds before making additions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1015820/reintegration-by-supervised-visits#post_15742910

Good luck
    Ct

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    and please do not rely on flimsy chicken wire, it keeps chickens in but does NOT keep predators out. They can slice through it like butter.

Instead use 1/2" hardware cloth securely (not with plastic ties) affixed to the framing. A run cover is great, if solid - it can offer some protection from the elements & also provide shade. If wire, it will keep out climbers, jumpers & raptors.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. So sorry for your loss.

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! I'm sorry to hear about that. Introduction of new birds can be tricky, but I'd say it's worth it in the long run. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by