Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Athena2344, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Athena2344

Athena2344 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2016
    I am starting up my own backyard flock of buff Orpington, and am looking for helpful tips and pointers. I have a "chicken garden" consisting of yellow squash, watermelon, Bell peppers, and pumpkins. My coop is almost done and I have been working diligently saving up money for the coop, materials, and the chickens. I found laundry baskets at Walmart that stack on top of each other, and I was wondering if those were good for nesting boxes...

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I use plastic basins as nest boxes, so your idea should be fine.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre 
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. 

You may wish to consider joining your state thread  as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck with your plans!

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC

4. Athena2344

Athena2344 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2016
    Thanks. Do you have any recommendations for feed?

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us! You asked about feed. Your local farm and ranch store should have a chicken feed called chick starter. In comes in various brands but is formulated for baby chickens. Good luck to you!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Laundry baskets sound like a good idea for nest boxes, I've used buckets (on their sides and upright, filled halfway with stones and then nesting materials) and both went down a treat with the ladies. Feed-wise, chick starter for the little ones (medicated or not) for the first month or so, then grower until they are near ready to or laying. For feed brand recommendations, have a browse in the Feeding & Watering Your Flock forum section.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Welcome [​IMG], much success with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by