1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by loveria, Sep 22, 2016.

1. loveria

loveria New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Hi all! My name is Ria. It's my first time raising chickens. We have a bantam couple. Napoleon(rooster) and Josephine(hen). I believe they are almost a year old. Josephine is currently sitting on 8 teeny eggs and has been for almost 3 weeks. Hoping those babies hatch soon[​IMG]

Poor napoleon though! He has just become very ill and I don't know what is wrong with him. Can someone help?
    He has been pulling his feathers out like crazy. His left breast has a bare red spot and his vent is also very red and raw. Yesterday he had runny pudding like poops. He has been hanging out a lot in the coop with the hen and isn't eating drinking like normal.
    They have been eating an organic feed I got from a local chicken store. Mixture of corn/wheat and other things. I also put lettuce and greens in there frequently and occasionally melon scraps.
    I've checked him over for lice and tonight I will check for mites. Josephine looks like her beautiful self.
    I'm so worried about him! Can someone offer advice?
    Love and clucks,
    Ria

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Sorry you are having an issue with your bird. I'd recommend posting in the ER forum for more help.

3. loveria

loveria New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Thank you! I will do that!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Ria, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! Hope the good folks over in the ER section were able to give you some good advice for Napolean! Good luck to you! :)

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there Ria, and welcome to Backyard chickens!! I am sorry to hear about your little guy, I hope you get some good advice over in the er section. In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck!:D

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hopefully your broody hen will stay healthy. Hope the ER folks can diagnose your roo and suggest proper treatment [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by