Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dalluge56, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Dalluge56

Dalluge56 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    My family and I are in the beginnings of our new venture of having backyard chickens! I'm trying to find a place where we can order as few as 4 baby chicks. Any sites that allow for so few?

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Meyer Hatchery will go as low as 3, starting in April in the cold months the minimum is 15

[​IMG]

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Dalluge56 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I am not able to assist with your chick order as I live in Aus. However, I just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

As you are just starting your venture into chickens, I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

and you might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you are near a major city and order regular (not bantam) size chicks, I believe My Pet Chicken will ship small orders of 3 or more. If you pay somewhat more they also "sex" the chicks for you.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Dalluge56, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Yes, as Diva suggested, MyPetChicken is one outfit that will accommodate small orders. Best wishes to you and your chicks! :yiipchick

7. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck finding the chicks you want!

8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! Like Diva said, MyPetChicken will ship as little as three chicks as long as they are standard size and not bantams. Not to mention, MPC has a great selection of breeds!

1 person likes this.
  10. Dalluge56

Dalluge56 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks everyone! So excited to get started. We found a local feed store that we can get our chicks from, not all the breeds I was interested in but it will save a ton in shipping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by