Hello!

ArtemisKat

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hi,

My name is Artemis, after the goddess of the moon, hunt, and fertility.
I'm currently going to community college with hopes of soon transferring to pursue animation and digital design. My hobbies include drawing, painting, hiking, mountain biking, skateboarding, reading westerns, scifi, and philosophy, and of course tending to my little flock of chickens.
I started keeping chickens about 5 years ago. I built the entire coop with my dad, and it's a spacious, nearly 100 sq ft home for my 5 hens. In total I have had 13 chickens, but I had to give away 3 and we've have had some accidents with the neighbor's dog, a fox, coyote and a hawk. Sometimes living so close to the wilderness is rough.
My first 8 chickens I brought home from a little place in Gilroy when they were just a few days old. All of them made it to adulthood, and 3 of them survive today. Later on, a friend of mine gave us five fertilized eggs from her Rhode Island Red coop (she has 100s of them!). I stuck them under my little Bantam hen that was broody at the time, and a few weeks later five chicks hatched!! I had to give three of them away to a friend because we can't keep roosters where I live, but I got to watch the other two hilariously outgrow their miniature mother.
Every step of the way, I had Backyard Chickens forums to help me along and answer so many of my questions. For some reason I didn't make an account until now, and it was because I stumbled upon a situation to which I desperately need answers. Yesterday I found a lash egg that I think is from one of the rhode island reds, and I worry for her health. Hopefully I get some advice in the forums!
It's nice to finally officially join this community. I've attached a photo of my favorite bird, a barred rock named Zaphod Beeblebrox. Beeble for short!

Attachments

• IMG_3628.JPG
    IMG_3628.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Back
Top Bottom