Hello

Kangaroo Jumper

Hatching
Oct 23, 2017
Hey everyone I'm from Australia, I'm not new to chickens but I had to give them up for a while due to personal situations, I'm just looking at getting some new ones and thought I should look at improving my current knowledge on chickens. I've always had free range chickens, kept purely for eggs, however this time I'm looking at mix purpose (egg and meat chickens) I've always feed them a mixture of chicken mix, veggie and fruit scraps, and tiger worms with a little shell grit for calcium boost if the chicken feed didn't have enough.

I grew up in rural Australia, so I've had a lot of interaction with a lot of different animals and chickens would have to be one of my favourite animals, they are so full of character. My favourite times watching them would be when they are chicks and learning to chase bugs and jump and miss them

The breed I'm looking at buying now is the Sussex chicken, apparently these are good for both eggs and meat, I've always had mixed breeds as we've always got them farmers we've known and none are into selective breeding.

I'm looking at a flock of 6 hens and 1 rooster, most people complain about roosters however I have never had an issue with them and I love when they crow.

How I found out about the site I was googling info and stumbled across it.

Other hobbies, include art, hunting, fishing, camping, gardening and so much more.

I have a hubby and 2 children with our third on it ways

I look forward to learning and contributing tothe community

Howdy Neighbour :frow Welcome!

Please do pop in to the Aussie Thread Pork Pie gave you a link to, you will be welcome.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

I am new to chickens but they are so fun to watch. I have egg layers mostly but have five meat chickens now. They are Cornish X. They grow extremely fast but not so happy with breed. They lay around all the time and do not clean themselves as much. They have plenty of room and get out side. I only feed them half a day. I feel sorry for them. Not much of a life. Think I try a different meat bird next time. Have you tried any other meat birds? So nice to see people all over the world enjoying the same hobby.

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in am make yourself at home.:highfive:

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

:welcome

I hope you find the chickens you want, Sussex are a nice breed.

Make yourself at home here and best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom