Hello

jcawyer

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
I just joined Backyard chickens, I have had chickens off and on during my entire life, which is to say a good 70 years. I ran across this site while looking for information on what to feed baby geese. I looked through the comments and decided I would like to be a part of this community.

I currently have three chickens, left from a flock of about 40. The neighbor's dog killed about 15 in one day and the rest were picked off by a den of nearby foxes. I didn't mind the foxes so much as they were just trying to survive and at least the chickens went to good purpose to provide food for growing kits, but the neighbor's dogs came into my yard and just wantonly slaughtered and left the corpses.

I free range my birds on about 3 acres and I realize that losses are inevitable to some degree, but the dogs, just really make me angry. The neighbors couldn't or wouldn't keep them penned up and one of them bit a neighbor, so they are now no longer a problem as the neighbor had to get rid of them.

At any rate, I have three chickens left, One old gander who used to hang out with an old tom turkey who passed away at the ripe old age of 14 years. He is lonely hence I'm getting some baby geese, females, who when grown will provide the old guy with company when they are grown.

I live in Idaho in the country with my husband. We also have one dog, two cats, two horses and a mule. They are all just part of the family. Enough about me, It's nice to make your acquaintance!

Janice Cawyer

Hello!! It's great to have you!! :welcome I'm sorry about the loss of chickens. That's a hard thing when it comes to raising backyard chickens. (Or any poultry in general) I have had animals attack quite a few times. I'm glad the dogs are no longer around to drop your number. I'm sure you'll have a great time here! If you have any questions, BYC is for you!! :thumbsup Congrats on fixing to get some goslings!! :yesss:

G'Day from down under Janice :frow Welcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in this link:

Back
Top Bottom