Hello!

Saraemckee

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
Hi there! My name is Sara and my family and I just moved to the country (from suburbs) last summer. Our first country endeavor was getting chickens and we absolutely love them! My kids adore them. My 4 yr old daughter cuddles them at every opportunity (we go through A LOT of Purell!!). I’m looking into getting some silkies but am having a hard time finding any! This is my networking attempt! Haha.

Welcome to BYC Broody with chicks.jpeg

It is great having you here!

Check your local state thread and post on the Buy sell trade forum

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/#buy-sell-trade.67

Hi there! My name is Sara and my family and I just moved to the country (from suburbs) last summer. Our first country endeavor was getting chickens and we absolutely love them! My kids adore them. My 4 yr old daughter cuddles them at every opportunity (we go through A LOT of Purell!!). I’m looking into getting some silkies but am having a hard time finding any! This is my networking attempt! Haha.

Welcome Sara to Backyard Chickens knowing your location will help us find those Silky

I would suggest you post on the "Silkie thread," just put that in the search box and it should pop up for you. There is also a variety of silkie with naked necks, or bow ties(of feathers) mid naked neck which are called "Show Girls," they have the silkie disposition and broody qualities. You can also check out the "Show Girls thread." Should be pictures on both threads that show what the breeds/varieties look like.

Hatchery bred ones tend to be lacking in features that make silkies unique, and are usually bred NOT to be "broody." Broody means they love to sit on fertile eggs and hatch chicks. Even if the eggs under them are not theirs, they will still hatch and care for the baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom