Hello!

TwinChixMom

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2018
Hi! I'm Katie - my user name "TwinChixMom" is because I actually have twin girls! I had chickens years ago but finally bought a farm (in the making!) this Spring! The first thing we got set up was a chicken coop! Chickens make me super happy and my girls have come to love them just as much! We are excited about eggs, but we love them as pets too! We have different types but my favorite chicken breed is Polish, and my twins love Silkies and Frizzles. We ended up with ducks, plan to add horses, goats, and pigs eventually, and are pretty active with our humane society with fostering dogs and cats as well. I had googled different topics before and ended up at BYC a few times so I thought it was time to join the ranks!

Hi Katie and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us and congrats on your new farm.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

BYC has a sister site that you may be interested in - BackYardHerds.com

Best wishes

Pork Pie

byc1-excited.gif

Hello Katie,

It sounds like you have already started a great adventure with your farm, and your girls are lucky to get to grow up in the country. Plus, as your menagerie grows, they will learn so much about life and responsibility -- as we all know, coops and other animal enclosures don't clean themselves!

Last weekend, we had three middle-school-aged boys visiting, and one really, really wanted to collect eggs. Christopher found one (only the Faverolles are still laying right now) and showed it to his companions. One asked if it was a real egg. He then asked if it was okay to eat. He'd never seen a chicken egg that didn't come out of a grocery store. Again, your girls are so lucky.

I don't know how large your farm is, but in my case, the more land, the more critters I can collect on it. Good luck with yours from someone who has chickens, ducks, American Buff geese, miniature goats, Katahdin sheep, too many cats and a Great Pyrenees non-guardian livestock dog (first owner failed to train her early enough).

Welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom