Hello

gillyke

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2018
Hi, I am new to this and have never joined a forum so please be patient. I have owned chickens for several years, which I love, and at the moment I have nine chooks; cream legbars, speckeldy and rescue chooks. I have joined as I would like some advice regarding their bare bottoms. Hope someone can help.

So I have nine chooks and 6 of them have bare bottoms and it is a problem I have had with all of my chooks over the years. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I have checked for lice and can't see any, but I would have thought that all of the chooks would be suffering if it was lice. They are fed on a good quality layers pellet, they have porridge in the morning made with water, and treats in the afternoon which includes corn on the cob, dried corn, lettuce, brown bread and meal worm. The bedding is a good quality chicken bedding and we use Smite to keep away the mites. We used to sprinkle this on the bedding but wondered whether that was causing the bare bottom, so we don't do that anymore, but nothing has change. One of our chooks pecks the others, but she also has a bare bottom so she is not the problem. Their run is about 10m x 15m so there is plenty of space with areas to have mud baths. The coups are poo picked every day and cleaned out each weekend, but not necessarily using a disinfectant. Does anyone have any thoughts please?

I don't have any advice on your chickens' bare bottoms, but I am sure someone here will. It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right, and that's what I sometimes find frustrating -- I'm doing my best to give them the best possible lives, but my birds (chickens, ducks and geese) still encounter problems.

Good luck finding answers from this great group, and welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom