Hello

Where are you located since you were just mentioning the heat? Providing them shade, cold water, dust bathing material and maybe frozen berries will help them to tolerate it a lot better. Hosing down their area/run with cold water is an other suggestion, it makes the surrounding area not so dry and hot. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

We're in Adelaide, not far from the beach. I've made some shade and I was thinking about how cool Moroccan houses in the old towns are, with those central pools in the courtyards. So I've been putting ice in a tub and then putting the hose in and running it slowly. They both like to drink from it and they sit nearby. I've also been putting blue esky ice blocks in the nesting boxes and they seem to like those too. I tried hosing the coop down but it caused such a panic and they seemed hotter from all the panicked running around. I'm hoping a misting system will bring the temp down nicely because the long term forecast is for several heat waves January-March.

So far I'm loving it! A friendly bunch of folks!

Welcome to BYC. It seems like you are doing all you can to keep your hens cool. I can't think of anything else to suggest, other than maybe a fan, if possible. I hope you enjoy the website and find it useful.

Thank you Jed. I know my brother was looking for a solar-powered fan for the coop to give me for Christmas - fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom