Hello

Welcome to BYC. It seems like you are doing all you can to keep your hens cool. I can't think of anything else to suggest, other than maybe a fan, if possible. I hope you enjoy the website and find it useful.

Thank you Jed. I know my brother was looking for a solar-powered fan for the coop to give me for Christmas - fingers crossed!

Hello BYC peeps!

I've been reading BYC for a while and have decided to join in.

We had leghorns when I was a kid and i used to spend time watching them and wondering what they were thinking. Now I've got my own place (in Australia - very hot summer coming up) and I couldn't wait to get chooks. I'm in the suburbs, so they really are "backyard" chickens.

I started a year ago with two ISA brown crosses and a leghorn cross. Sadly they were all killed in a fox raid. I was heartbroken for a while but got myself a fox-proof coop a few months back and added further fox proofing. In october i got a barnevelder and an australorp, both pol pullets.

They seem happy and healthy. Coop + run = 17m2 but there's no natural shade in the mornings. They eat a 50/50 mix of red hen grain mix and pellets (both for layers), and treats like lettuce, tomato, meal worms and whatever they can dig up. The Australorp has given me seven eggs in a row, maybe she'll make it eight for christmas! The barnevelder gives me 5 or 6 a week. The Barny is queen and the Aussie does her bidding :)

Strangely, the Barny doesn't mind a hot day but the Aussie hates the heat. I've tried all sorts of things to keep her cool and a misting system is next on my list.

Very nice to meet you :)
Hi Mary Janet, just joined . I have 3 silkies pets. For shade over their large run I planted a Virginia creeper vine which covers the bird netting on top in summer and is deciduous so let’s in the winter sun, as we too in southern nsw have very hot summers and cold winters. The only thing because of the weight of the vine, hubby put some steel reinforcements under the bird wire on top of the run. Next thing is a sandpit with sand wood ash and a little diamentacios earth.

Hi Mary Janet, just joined . I have 3 silkies pets. For shade over their large run I planted a Virginia creeper vine which covers the bird netting on top in summer and is deciduous so let’s in the winter sun, as we too in southern nsw have very hot summers and cold winters. The only thing because of the weight of the vine, hubby put some steel reinforcements under the bird wire on top of the run. Next thing is a sandpit with sand wood ash and a little diamentacios earth.
Virgina creeper will provide lots of shade!

Back
Top Bottom