Hello!

Msfur08

Chirping
May 25, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
These are my first chickens. I got them yesterday.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 Silver Laced Lyandotte, 1 Amaracuana, 1 Midnight Majesty Maran, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Welsummer

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

So far, watching their little personalities. My SLL will sleep in your arms and we've only had her two days. My Amaracuana sweetly mothers the slightly smaller pullets. It's just fun to watch them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

This question always eludes me. There are many activities I engage in from caring for my variety of other animals, gardening (which I'm somewhat new to as well), church activities, homeschooling my three daughters, etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm a recently certified elementary teacher trying find work from home jobs so I can be home with my three daughters. Although I'm divorced from their father now, the four of us manage pretty well and are strengthening our relationships with each other and the surrounding community as well as family and fellowship family. We also have a flat coat golden doodle we got from my mom's dog's litter. We have a fish tank with 6 glass catfish, an albino brittlenose pleco, a clear shrimp, an African Dwarf frog, and 3 black Tetras (started when someone gave me a beta as a gag gift - got the pleco to help keep the tank clean. Betta disappeared [R.I.P. Frito], and then began fish math.) Then there are the 3 ferrets, the corn snake, and the 7 cats.

Most of these animals, except the fish, were from someone rehoming their pets for one reason or another. Except two of the cats who were from a litter of kittens from an unwanted pregnant cat I took in years ago and one cat who was from a shelter.

And now we have chickens.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have read things on BYC for years while working up the nerve to get chickens. I like to give my animals the best environment possible, so I wanted to know as much as I could before getting them. Now I'm joining BYC because I finally made the jump and feel like I don't know anything about chickens now that I have them.

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom