Hello!

CrazyCritterGal

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
Hello! I'm new to BYC, but not new to chickens and other fowl. My family has always had birds outside and free range, be they chickens, waterfowl, turkeys, etc. But now I'm in college, and I'm renting a small house with no outside area for birds. A little while ago, one of our Muscovy ducks hatched out some babies. She hatched them late in the season and then abandoned them. I happened to be home, so I took them down to school to raise them. Unfortunately, all but one died (I think from Duck Virus Hepatitis). Winter came hard and fast, so Ducky (I was trying not to get attached so I didn't name her. But I needed some way to refer to her and she started answering to it :rolleyes: and we got attached to each other) stayed inside with me. She has a diaper coming in the mail so that she can spend even more time out with me.
So now she's a house duck. She and my pug have an uneasy peace - mostly ignoring each other, sometimes barking/hissing at each other, but not really much more. She's pretty friendly, even with strangers. I love watching her groom and play in her water tub.
I have a lot of plants - one of my other hobbies - which I have to carefully defend against Ducky's nibbly beak. I know it's just her nature to eat plants, so I just keep them blocked off and call it good. She doesn't get in trouble really for it because I want her to feel comfortable eating plants when it warms up and she gets outside time.
I'm hoping to learn more from the community about how to keep her happy and healthy!
CEAB3787-A6A1-4193-AB12-C27A2EB2076D.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Awww....Ducky is adorable! :love Ducky sure has the good life, how kind of you to care for her so well. :)

Make yourself at home here and enjoy all our poultry chat! :)

Thanks! :) I'm probably moving in a few months, and once I do, I'm hoping to get her a duck friend, just so she can have a buddy who speaks her language and such. I just don't have the room for two right now!

:frow:welcome It seems that Muscovy, being a different duck, don’t speak the typical duck language. Be sure that the new friend is also a Muscovy. :thumbsup Of course, Muscovy have different habits too, so there’s another vote for Muscovy.
:lol: My beagle came here when my Muscovy was broody by the back door. He went near her once, and never again! :gig

:frow:welcome It seems that Muscovy, being a different duck, don’t speak the typical duck language. Be sure that the new friend is also a Muscovy. :thumbsup Of course, Muscovy have different habits too, so there’s another vote for Muscovy.
:lol: My beagle came here when my Muscovy was broody by the back door. He went near her once, and never again! :gig
Oh yeah, she and the pug have both put each other in their respective places, and now they've got that uneasy peace happening. You read my mind in terms of which kind of duck friend I'll be looking for. ;)

Back
Top Bottom