Hello

Jews fast from sundown to sundown on their highest holy day "YOM KIPPUR." No food, water during that time - for the day of Atonement. They do not work or entertain themselves.
They may read or contemplate how to improve themselves for the next year.
Some Hassidic have this crazy thing the day before Yom Kippur called Kaporos. That is when they swing the chickens and then kill them on the sidewalk in front of the children in Brooklyn. So there is a rescue group who try to save as many as they can. Hopefully freedom of religion does not include cruelty.

There is no egg today. I thought once they began, they kept laying until fall???
Most chickens don't lay every day. Yours are still very young as well, it takes a few months to get their egg laying machines in gear. Spring time will get them laying more frequently.
True. I realize your question has been answered. I have some pullets that started to lay and were laying good, then stop abruptly not an eggs for a few weeks. I searched for places they could be putting eggs but found nothing. Recently they started laying pretty good again. We had some warm then cold then warm again and now more cold weather coming. We are going to have temperatures around freezing. Last week we had days in the low 80's no wonder the birds are all mixed up. Now we will see what happens with the next cold snap. I realize they are working out the kinks still. I hope they figure it out pretty soon. When spring gets here I'll have so many eggs, almost too many.

True. I realize your question has been answered. I have some pullets that started to lay and were laying good, then stop abruptly not an eggs for a few weeks. I searched for places they could be putting eggs but found nothing. Recently they started laying pretty good again. We had some warm then cold then warm again and now more cold weather coming. We are going to have temperatures around freezing. Last week we had days in the low 80's no wonder the birds are all mixed up. Now we will see what happens with the next cold snap. I realize they are working out the kinks still. I hope they figure it out pretty soon. When spring gets here I'll have so many eggs, almost too many.
I think it has more to do with hours of daylight than temperature. They might just continue laying now.

I think here it's mostly temperature. Last night it was in the upper 30's for the low. We have been having nighttime lows around 60. Tonight and tomorrow night it'ts suspposed to get into the mid 30's to tomorrow night in the upper 20's. Our high today was 58. We have been having daytime temperatures around 80. All of the coops have nightlights in them.

Hi there! I am new to this site. I rescued two cross chickens in October. There are doing well and one turned out to be a rooster. The hen laid an egg today. She is five months old. She did not have more than 10 hours of daylight.
HI!! Welcome!! We are so excited that you joined us!! :wee This is a wonderful community of very knowledgeable people who are friendly and eager to help. Bring your questions and pull up a chair! I'm sure you'll like it here.

Back
Top Bottom