Hello!

IceChick13

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2020
Long time listener, first time caller here. I decided I would join today because I think I've encountered my first lash egg after 2 years with my first brood!

A little about myself:

I got my first brood 2 years ago from our local feed store. 3 RIR, 4 orpingtons, 3 americaunas. 1 orpington turned out to be a rooster who would attack as soon as you turned your back and my dad ended up culling him while we were on vacation. Anyway, we got our replacement batch of 11 americaunas this year (I like their shorter combs for the Iowa winters, and I love how they aren't under my feet like the other 2 breeds have been in my experience). I think one is a rooster so let's hope he's a bit nicer.

Also 2 years ago we got 4 Khaki Cambell ducklings. They ended up being 2 hens and 2 drakes. I must say, I much prefer ducks over chickens. We also got 5 meat ducks this year which turned out to be 5 mallards, 1 a hen and the other drakes. My husband decided he'd like to keep the hen so I suggested we take the 2 KC drakes and 3 mallard drakes and use them for meat ducks. We have yet to cull them.

We also got broilers for the first time this year! We culled them last Saturday. We bought 60 to begin with and we ended with 47. I must say, we were happy the 13 died as we processed them ourselves and it was almost too much for us.

Anyway, we live on the same acreage as my husband's parents. We have 3 animal-aggressive dogs so the birds spend their outside time in a run mostly. Occasionally we lock the dogs up and get the birds outside time and walk the ducks to the pond. We have 2 daughters, 5 & 3 yrs old.

This has gotten long! I better stop now. I look forward to gaining more knowledge for my feathered friends!

Back
Top Bottom