Hello

trescloudy

Songster
7 Years
Mar 6, 2016
I'm not really new to chickens or backyard chickens
I used to have an account but changed email addresses and havent made post here in years.

I used to raise white dorkings and I got them from yellow house farm. Dorkings are in dire need of serious work and since i lost my flock was time to start over. Because I've lost 7 years i decided it best to get strains that have been well kept and in little need for repair.

I've also raised several other breeds and the CX polyhybrid or "F2" hybrid.

Im trying to breed self sustaining type chickens. An awesome egg line and on the other hand a great meat bird.

I find it rather ridiculous that the hatching/breeding industry have the market kind of cornered. I currently pay about 5 dollars for a cx chick when you include shipping and feel defeated by the price before I even start feeding.

Im mostly focused on meat varieties and plan on producing my own meat chicks and maintaining which breeds it takes to accomplish that.

I was reading a thread about "toads" this guy is breeding from the "cornish cross". I'm totally intrigued as I have had plans to do something like this for years. In fact I started crossing dorking roosters to cx hens 7 or 8 years ago.

I am really enjoying the road thread because this guy is making awesome looking broilers.

Im really enjoying his different approach and that he actually accomplished breeding a cx rooster to a cx hen without AI.

My plan is to experiment with that but want to create a true breeding rooster line from inbreeding the cx. Then it would only be a matter of purchasing cx hens to possibly breed to meat birds from those.

I'm also interested in using other breeds against cx to make more colorful and flavorful birds that are less likely to be picked off by hawks etc.

I just started my new flock in june 2020.

I now have:

ISA Brown roos and hens
Amber Link roos and hens
Barred Rock roo and hen (1 each)
American Bresse roos and hens (13)
CX roos and hens

In September I'm getting some NewHampshire Reds and am working at getting more Barred Rocks.

Outside of the egg birds (ISA Browns and Amber Links) I feel the others should be strong breeds for creating good strong meaty lines.

I plan on crossing the American Bresse to CX as well as Barred Rocks and New Hampshires.

I'll see which make the best meat birds and test the CX inbreeding.

To some this may sound like trying to reinvent the wheel but im sure others will understand the value of breeding a sustainable meat line, even if it takes keeping 3 or 4 breeds to do it.

Here is a link to the thread that got me to get a new membership to backyard chickens. I also plan on creating a thread or threads about my work on this topic.

I always knew the genetics are inside the CX crosses. Just have to do a little work to stabilize but that structure has been bred into them no matter what the meat bird industry says. And I'm stubborn and bull headed enough to work through this.

Thanks duluthralphie for giving me the extra incentive and insight to get back to work on my project.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/toad-raising.1152440/page-4

Back
Top Bottom