Hello!!

H and H Homestead

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
I am not necessarily a new chicken owner. Growing up my family raised all kinds of birds, chickens, turkeys, geese, guineas so I am slightly familiar with chickens. More familiar with the upkeep rather than the bird itself because as a kid it was our job to clean the coop and yard.
That being said I am new to caring specifically for the bird and dealing with the diseases and other things that go with the health and care.
My husband has never raised chickens so it's all new to him. However he loves to research and put into use what he's learned. We currently only have 3 birds. A Barred Rock rooster (8months) and 2 white orpington hens (2 years). We are definitely going to be increasing the size of our laying flock to 10-15 hens and we will also be raising meat birds. Our goal is to provide our own meat and eggs for the year and eventually expand out to our families.
Our hobbies include gardening, canning, bees and helping our family and friends. We are doubling our garden size next year and adding a separate melon patch. And expanding our fruit trees and berry patches. We currently work 2 bee hives with our neighbor but are expanding our bee operation to 9 hives over the winter. We are collectively absorbing our mentors hives as she is going into queen harvesting. We are hoping to add goats into the mix next year, and maybe a Llama named Steve (per our neighbors request, you're welcome Paula lol).
I work from home and hubby is a year out from retiring. We are excited to be a part of this community and the opportunities for more learning! Here's a picture of our Barred Rock rooster, Yadi. He's only 6 months in this picture.
IMG_20200830_064502096.jpg

Back
Top Bottom