Hello!

anthonyaa2

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
I have Brahmas, Cochin, and Lakenvelder breeds. And each breed is seperated in their own coop in order to hatch pure chicks. By mistake my Brahma rooster went to my cochins and breeded with one of my cochin hens. My question is, will her eggs be fertile from my Brahma rooster directly from the first time? how much should i wait in order to make sure that my cochin will not lay an egg that is crossed with the Brahma?

:welcome The general rule of thumb is that a hen retains high fertility for two weeks after a breeding, moderate fertility for three weeks, and occasional fertility for four weeks.

:welcome The general rule of thumb is that a hen retains high fertility for two weeks after a breeding, moderate fertility for three weeks, and occasional fertility for four weeks.
If she breeds on daily basis with her cochin rooster, will that eliminate the sperm of the the brahma rooster? Or they will mix?

There will be a higher probability that the cochin will be the father - more/fresher sperm, but there will still be the possibility that the Brahma might be the rooster. Comb type will determine 'who's the daddy'.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom