Hello

Jennsmith346

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
I’m Jennifer and am new to back yard chickens. I have 8 currently but our coop can hold 12-14. I have three Easter eggers, a sapphire gem Olive egger, a cinnamon queen, Jersey giant, midnight majesty moran, and a starlight green egger. I hope to get a couple polish hens soon. I also have a couple dogs, three cats, and a handful of fish. I’m a social worker by trade, and have several hobbies including reading, painting, hiking, motorcycles, gardening, and follow eastern philosophy. I got my first chickens in may and LOVE THEM. I love how different they are and all the personalities. I never knew how smart they really were.

coop we just built:
09E9977E-7297-44ED-9377-FE85EECE876C.jpeg

Hello, Jennifer, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'd stick to 8 and add a truck load of wood chips to the run.
The run and coop are bigger than the picture gives credit. I think ten would be good. I definitely don’t want to max it. I’ve been thinking about wood chips but worry they’d cut their feet and get bumble feet.

The run and coop are bigger than the picture gives credit. I think ten would be good. I definitely don’t want to max it. I’ve been thinking about wood chips but worry they’d cut their feet and get bumble feet.
What size is the coop? How many linear feet of roost space do you have?
My flock has been on wood chips for over 3 years. Never had a case of bumble foot.
run complete.jpg

Back
Top Bottom