Hello!

Carol_Hughes

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2021
I am a new member.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I helped with the chickens our family had when I was a child but this is my first time raising them myself.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have none right now, but a friend is giving me her 5 laying hens when she moves to Florida. I also have friends who will be giving me some of theirs.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Eggs and the personalities of the hens. I have 4 indoor birds (2 conures, 1 quaker and 1 amazon).
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I have an extensive garden. 10 raised beds, an orchard where we grow pear, apple, peach, plum, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, elderberries, gooseberries, mulberries and cherries. I also have ornamental beds on the front of our home. We have 2 acres.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I recently retired after 40 years as a paramedic (I am still teaching part time at the local college in the paramedic program), my husband is also a paramedic and the operations supervisor for the company. It is a very large company. We have 4 daughters who are grown, and 6 grandchildren. When I am not in the garden, I am in the kitchen canning produce or enjoying our grandchildren. We have, in addition to our parrots, an old golden retriever/yellow lab mix and 2 indoor cats.
We live in Southwest Missouri.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found about BYC on Pinerest. I was looking for information about raising chickens. I read through some of the information you have and have already learned a lot.

Hello, and welcome! Good luck in the gift of chicken's that you are getting! Are you set up to do the quarantine between the flock's?
Not yet. It will be a while before I get new ones. I'm just setting up my coop and fence for them now. My neighbor raises and sells chickens, he has been advising me on what to do. He has chickens, ducks, turkeys and peafowl.

1628201777757.png

Back
Top Bottom