Hello!

My name is Sarah, I’m brand new to chickens, though I have wanted to get a flock for many years.

We don’t currently have any chickens but I’m thinking about getting 4-6 within the next year or two. I wasn’t particular about breeds, but now I know I’d like some friendly high quantity layers, with good predatory awareness (we can’t have a rooster to help protect the flock). Any suggestions on breeds are welcome!

I probably won’t post here often, but I will certainly read and obsess if any and all information. I have been wanting chickens as egg layers and feathery family members :)

Our family is me and my husband, our two year old, an old dog, and a curious Orange cat. I enjoy outdoor walking/light hiking and photography, and I work for a local university.

I first found BYC years ago looking at chicken coop designs — which is probably one of my favorite parts of planning! I finally joined because it’s nearly finally time for me to be a real chicken enthusiast!

I’m really looking forward to learning from all of you, and maybe sharing pictures of my coop and flock when I finally get them!
Welcome to BYC!

My name is Sarah, I’m brand new to chickens, though I have wanted to get a flock for many years.

We don’t currently have any chickens but I’m thinking about getting 4-6 within the next year or two. I wasn’t particular about breeds, but now I know I’d like some friendly high quantity layers, with good predatory awareness (we can’t have a rooster to help protect the flock). Any suggestions on breeds are welcome!

I probably won’t post here often, but I will certainly read and obsess if any and all information. I have been wanting chickens as egg layers and feathery family members :)

Our family is me and my husband, our two year old, an old dog, and a curious Orange cat. I enjoy outdoor walking/light hiking and photography, and I work for a local university.

I first found BYC years ago looking at chicken coop designs — which is probably one of my favorite parts of planning! I finally joined because it’s nearly finally time for me to be a real chicken enthusiast!

I’m really looking forward to learning from all of you, and maybe sharing pictures of my coop and flock when I finally get them!
Welcome Sarah this is a great place to learn lots . Check out article section on home screen .
What breeds? Well we need to know your climate as it makes a lot of difference to what breed. I live in SW Neb so I went with production breed ISA browns ( but would not do again as one of them has an egg issue) Rhode Island Red ( great breed cold hardy breed and good layer, black Australorp ( good layer friendly motherly hen. ) I've heard barred rocks and buff Orpingtons and are friendly , and good layers too. Leghorns are best layers but flighty .
Thing is all hens are different so might not be flighty or friendly just cause breed is!
Some folks go for looks some choose for egg color. Anyway learn lots and you'll do fine.

Back
Top Bottom