Hello!

Hello everyone! I’ve haven’t introduced myself so here is a little bit.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have always wanted chickens but the town I lived in kept tabling the ordinance. We happened to get lucky and moved to a new place out of city limits so the first project was a chicken coop! I just purchased my first chicks and they will be 2 weeks on October 2nd.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I originally thought about getting four to start since it will be a learning curve. However, my minimum order required six. So I have six baby girls (maybe). One did arrive a little lethargic and was touch and go, but I was able to get her going. She was the only one who also had pasty butt for about four days. I call her poopy butt now because I had to clean her about 3 times a day. She was also the drama queen and screamer of the bunch but has since been doing great. She is an Easter egger.

(3) What breeds do you have?

(2) Blue laced red Wyandottes
(2) Easter eggers
(1) Plymouth barred rock
(1) Dark Brahma - not really - we were really excited to order a Brahma we made sure to build a nesting box to suit her size, however there was a packing error. The mystery bird could be either a Partridge olive egger / cream legbar / welsummer / brown leghorn - I hope to post here for input when she’s older

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I’m just starting so it’s all new. But I’m amazed how fast they grow and learning all their little personalities. I was so excited about the Wyandottes. I thought they’d be my babes. But they just aren’t social or friendly. From day one that barred rock came right up to my hand and now every single time I go in she just comes right up to me and crawls in my hands and up my arm. While others are freaking out she is cuddling. She’s so calm and friendly and smart. Definitely my favorite. The mystery bird is the other bird that comes right to me. Those two are buds and the most sociable. I definitely admit I have watched them a lot it’s pretty entertaining.
Welcome to BYC!! Same with me, Wyandottes aren't very friendly. :hmm BRs definitely are though, and EEs, well, their a different story. 😂They could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom