Hello!

Coaldust666

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2023
Just joined the site 😊 starting the chicken keeping journey again for the first time in 10 years since moving back rural! I'm a bit rusty!

I've got four 1 week old chicks.
3 barred rock and 1 barnedelver ( will add 2 more barnedelver when my breeder has more hatches)

Currently I'm keeping them inside under a 60w lamp and heat mat in a 80L plastic bin with wood shaving bedding and they're eating chick crumble.
(Temp is 35°c warm end and 20°c cool end)

So far I think I have 2 barred rock hens, 1 rock rooster and the lone barnedelver is a rooster also I believe.
-Trusty pendulum guess method-
The presumed roosters are growing bigger and have bigger feet, they are all the same age.

I'm going to build them a coop January next year when I've extended my rental lease. (Also when they've grow a lot bigger) Until then I have a makeshift portable netted gazebo setup for them.

Roosters! I plan on having 1 rooster of each barred rock and barnedelver so I can breed them and use for meat birds as well as egg layers.

-my neighbour has requested I don't get roosters because of the crowing but I need fertilized eggs so I'm researching into dark boxes etc for overnight

-I need advice on feed for the chicks, how long should they have the crumble for and
do I need to supplement with any extra minerals + fresh greens or veges etc etc??

The last time I had chickens was as a child on my parents lifestyle block, I can't remember everything that goes into raising them 😅

Thanks!

1696069567164.png

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

35C is way too hot for chicks. You want to lower that to 31C, lowering the temp a little each week until they are at room temp by week 5. Make sure the brooder offers them at least 1/2 square foot per chick for personal space. Keep them on chick crumbles until they start laying, somewhere between 5 and 6 months of age, then switch over to a layer type feed. No vitamin supplements are needed, everything they need is in their feed. At 6 weeks of age you can introduce chopped greens, cabbage, scrambled eggs, etc... Chicks are afraid of new foods, it may take them a while to get them used to the treats.

Enjoy your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom