Hello

Emajade

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
Hi, I have had chickens now for 2 years. I also grew up with chickens because my dad loved having them. Last year, I had a hen hatch 10 chicks and watched her care for them in the run. I found this site because now I have questions about how to breed chickens. I was given a Buff Brahma Rooster but all I can find for him is Light Brahmas. Can I still sell the chickens if they are a different color? Thank you.

Yes, I don't have a lamp or any space to raise the chicks. He's a rescue. He started drawing blood when attacking his owner and she asked if I would take him. We were originally going to process him, but my autistic son loves him and holds him like a pet. I now have him in his own coop separate from my main coop so I thought I would give him his own small flock. Light Brahmas are common in my area but no one has any Buff Brahma Pullets so a lady about an hour away has 3 light Brahmas and I'm supposed to get them Saturday.

:welcome:welcome:welcome

Welcome to BackYard Chickens! As far as breeding and selling, you could sell them for going rate, but please specify that they're not pure in color. How he has a history of being aggressive, a lot of people will not suggest breeding him. (I have bred aggressive roosters before.) Getting him hens might bring that aggression back and he might end up attacking your son. Because of his size, I would be concerned about getting him his own hens and being highly dangerous.

Yes, I don't have a lamp or any space to raise the chicks. He's a rescue. He started drawing blood when attacking his owner and she asked if I would take him. We were originally going to process him, but my autistic son loves him and holds him like a pet. I now have him in his own coop separate from my main coop so I thought I would give him his own small flock. Light Brahmas are common in my area but no one has any Buff Brahma Pullets so a lady about an hour away has 3 light Brahmas and I'm supposed to get them Saturday.
Welcome to BYC.
Please be aware that giving him hens may change your son's relationship with him.
He will be a protector for the hens, and may consider himself the flock leader. Some roosters become very protective of their flock, so use caution.
As for as selling chicks, many people, myself included, like backyard mixes for their unique looks and personalities. Just sell them as backyard mixed chickens. You'll have plenty of interest.
Brahmas are very nice, calm hens. You will get beautiful chicks.

Back
Top Bottom