Hello!

HennyJenny

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Bennington, NE
Hello Everyone, my name is Jenny. I have been a "lurker" for about a year now. I have been watching my Dad raise meat birds and tend a laying flock of Buff Orpingtons for many years. My husband, 3 kids and I live on a small acre in Bennington, Nebraska. I bought 6 Buffs and one Indian Runner Duck this spring. I heartbreakingly lost all but two of my girls to dogs in September. A a couple of months ago my Dad culled his entire laying flock as they were old enough to have pretty much ceased production and he was having increasing problems caring for his livestock generally. One lovely little girl hid in a nest box during the "culling" and saved herself. She was running loose on the farm for a few weeks before he caught her and brought her to me. She was skinny and stinky and sad and I fell immediately in love with her. I gave her a bath and blow dried her (wet chickens love love love blow dryers) and kept her in the house for a few weeks to make sure she was ok. One night I snuck her into the coop and placed her on the roost. The girls gave her the stink eye but they didn't bother her (now I am the part where I decide to cease being a shy lurker). We got a ton of snow here in December. The first time it snowed I went out to the coop in the morning and my two girls were standing in their window looking at the snow like "what is THAT!?" - it was very funny. This was about day two or three of the new girl being in the coop. The new girl (who still doesn't have a name despite the fact I adore her) never left the nest box - it was making the nest box owners furious!! With everyone staying in the coop - the nest box owners had more and more time to think about the fact that the new girl was hanging out in their nest box ALL OF THE TIME. This is upsetting. I decided I needed everyone to come out of the coop and get some fresh air - so I scooped out the run and put bedding on top of the snow that was left and then I put treats on the far end of the run. This temporarily solved my problem. Last week I had to lock them up during the blizzard. I went out the first morning of the blizzard and my two wonderful girls had pulled every feather out of the new girls butt and were taking swipes at her as I was watching. I ran back inside to BYC to figure out what could be done to make this stop - back out in the blizzard - I applied vicks vaporub (no kidding) to a bald chicken butt and threw some ham, a half a can of corn, and few pieces of broccoli to the girls. I also added some cider vinegar to their water in case this was mites instead of bored - mad - cooped up birds. Over the last week I have continued my food entertainment party and protein enhancement plan and seem to have successfully stopped the picking. The point of all this is that I would have been heartbroken had my girls killed the new girl and if it wasn't for the wealth of information on this forum - I wouldn't have figured out how to stop it. I owe you all a debt of gratitude and I had to quit being a lurker so that I could say thank you. I am going to build a much larger coop in the spring and increase my flock to about 20 birds - and I will so look forward to getting your advice when I get my new babies in the spring. Thank you so much.
Jenny

welcome-byc.gif
from Mississippi
Try cat food...I put a cup full in my coop when I pick up eggs and they are crazy about it....Pecking is down. and the feathers are growing back in great....It is a very high protein treat and easy to get year round....I try to buy the kind with no color added....I get it from the local feed store....oh I have 23 birds (22 hens 1 roo)

Glad you are joining us.....

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice Big Red's Mama
smile.png
. I did try some cat food and then tried some dog food - it seems to be the "hunt" that they love. But they did really enjoy the cat food. I had never given them meat before - and I have to say - watching them shred that ham was kind of appalling. Sometimes my mom's fourth child (a Bichon) acts like a dog and she is taken aback by that - and I have to say - that was a little how I felt when my girls were acting like velociraptors. Although I have continued to find some meat scraps for them everyday (last night they had Nebraska Rib Eye) - I just can't watch them eat it.

Hi Jenny!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! So glad your new girl is doing much better! She sounds so sweet.
love.gif
I think the cat food idea is great too, I use it. They love the stuff. But I guess ham is also great!
ep.gif
Enjoy!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Alaska

check out all the coops in the coop/run/construction area. Lots of good ideas & information.

Glad you decided to join us.

Back
Top Bottom